Saturday, March 23, 2013

Latest Adventure

So, it feels like forever since I wrote a post here.  Maybe because I've been trying to finish up Centaur Rivalry.  I've got one scene left to tweak and it'll be heading off to the Beta readers.  Yay!!  Thought I'd take a quick break from editing / tweaking and share with you some of the fun I've had this week.

Most of you know I'm not a full-time author.  I have a regular job that I love, that requires me to travel - a lot.  Most of my books are written on planes, in airports, in hotel rooms, etc.  If any of you are ever at an airport and see someone with their nose in their laptop that looks suspiciously like my profile picture - yep, it's probably me!  So this week, my schedule was supposed to be:

Sun: fly from Charleston, SC to Detroit, MI,
Tue: fly from Detroit, MI to Baltimore, MD
Wed: work in Quantico, VA
Thurs: work in Washington DC
Fri: work in Quantico, VA then fly home to Charleston from Baltimore, MD

Busy week, right?  Yeah, well it got even busier.  Many of you know I'm a magnet for crazy, so, sit back, grab a drink, and keep reading.

Sunday: I fly into Detroit as planned.  It's supposed to be a 1 hour and 40 minute flight.  Ten minutes after take-off it's okay to breakout my laptop so I figured I had a full hour plus to edit Centaur Rivalry. Just about an hour into the flight the pilot came on the intercom, "Ladies and Gentleman, we are making our decent into Detroit.  Temperature is a cool 29 degrees.  Flight attendants prepare the cabin for landing."
I looked at my watch and was thinking to myself that something must be wrong with the plane, because the pilot was obviously in a hurry to get to Detroit.  Sure enough, I stowed my laptop and we were on the ground at 1 hour and 5 minutes.  I was thinking - this is GREAT!  As we were taxiing the pilot came back on the intercom.  "Ladies and Gentlemen, we arrived a little early.  When the aircraft comes to a stop I'm going to have to ask that you keep your seat belts fastened and stay seated.  Law enforcement will be meeting the plane, they'd like to talk to one of our passengers."

Hmmmm, that explained why he was in such a hurry to get to Detroit.  No biggie.  Sure enough, as soon as the door opened, one of the passengers was taken away in handcuffs.  A few minutes later a second passenger was taken away in handcuffs.  (Neither of them was me!)  I had the privilege of sitting next to a lady who had been to Charleston for a religious retreat for the weekend and she was VERY anxious to try out her new found knowledge trying to convert me to her religion.  Thirty solid minutes of why I should convert - man, I was ready to get off the plane.

When we were finally let off the plane there were fifteen+ law enforcement folks standing outside the gate.  I watched the news that night looking for a blurb about my flight and never did hear what the two detained passengers had done, but that was how my week started.  Stepped out of baggage claim and wanted to curl into a little ball for warmth - It had been 73 degrees when I got on the plane in Charleston - let's just say 29 degrees was a total shock to my system.  Check out the snow on the ground in Detroit - Brrrr!

Monday: In Detroit as scheduled.  I was hoping to go to dinner with Amy Bartol (Absolutely love this lady - if you haven't read her Premonition Series, you need to!)  She was coming back Monday afternoon from Boston, so we were going to have dinner Monday night.  Buuuuuut, my Tue afternoon appointment in Maryland cancelled, so I didn't have anything "work-wise" to do until Wednesday and couldn't justifying hanging out in a hotel room, so I decided to leave Detroit Monday and fly back to Charleston for a couple days.  Sounds simple enough, right?  Go from a major city to a smaller city in the middle of the afternoon.  Yeah, not so much.

I was standing at the Delta ticket counter in the airport for forty-five minutes trying to change my ticket.  Eventually the lady was able to get it done and she was very sweet about it.  As a way of making my day a little brighter she upgraded me to first class - Niiiiiiice!  Unfortunately I couldn't fly directly to Charleston and had to route through Atlanta - no problem, because I was going to be riding in a lazy boy! (Or at least Delta's equivalent to it).  Check out all the legroom!
Yeah, I thought that was awesome, too!  Until some freak hail storm happened in Atlanta.  So, we circled for over an hour waiting for the storm to pass.  Okay, if I had to be stuck on a plane for a couple hours longer than necessary I was glad I had the seat that I did.  The pilot came on the intercom, "Ladies and Gentleman, the storm is moving slower than we'd hoped and we've circled as long as we can.  We'll need to divert to Huntsville to take on some more fuel."  Okay, so I won't make it home for dinner, but I should still be home for bed-time.  We got fuel and eventually did make it to Atlanta, unfortunately the plane that was to take me home to Charleston had been on the ground when the storm blew through and my plane had hail damage and couldn't fly!!  Wonderful. I was in good company because there were literally thousands of us in Atlanta for many, many, many hours!  I eventually did get back to Charleston and walked through my front door at 4 am on Tuesday morning.

Wednesday: I flew back to DC and the rest of the week went off without a hitch, well a couple hick-ups, but nothing funny enough to write about.  Home Friday night to one of my favorite scenes - that's my youngest sporting his Halloween costume on the trampoline!  Yes, I know it's March.  It turns out, when you're eight years old, it doesn't have to be Halloween to be dressed like Scooby Doo!

For anyone looking for a Centaur Rivalry update, I'm still looking at about May 15 for a release.  Once I send it off to Beta readers (hopefully tomorrow), I'll start setting up a cover reveal.  So anyone interested in participating in the cover reveal feel free to send me a message, tweet or comment here and I'll put you on the list.  Hope you've all had a great week!

Much Love,


  1. Aww sorry you were stuck for so long! Definitely glad you were in first class though :). Love your picture of your youngest; so cute! Lastly, YAYYY release date! I can't wait!

    1. Hi Cat! It could have been soooo much worse! LOL. In fact, the gate I was waiting at was shared with passengers waiting to go to Savannah, GA. Their aircraft was fine, but they didn't have a crew. When we left at 2am - they were still waiting. Glad you like the Scooby Doo picture - he always cracks me up. As far as the release date - I just pushed send to the Beta Readers!! Woooo Whoooo!! Going to sleep in tomorrow! :D